Sunday, February 28, 2010

New Local Flowers!!!

                  I am so happy to announce that in the past few months I have found many local flowers right here in CT! Even if not in CT I have found beautiful flowers that come from New Jersey and California, now I know California may not be local but they are still in the US cutting down on any shipping costs not to mention having to abide by the USDA.


                     Back to the local flowers, I was so excited to find roses being grown in CT again!! In 2007 the Pinchbeck Rose Farm in Guilford closed after over 75 years in business sad day in the cut flower world. Now once again the farm is growing roses again this time as Roses for Autism at the Pinchbeck Rose Farm. The roses that are bought from here not only are they fantastic because they are supporting a local business they also provide adults on the autism spectrum with employment. As of right now they are growing 16 different varieties of roses. I can tell you from personal experience that these roses are the best not only are they picked at the correct time they smell fantastic unlike many of the South American varieties that have lost their fragrance due to hybridization.

                       Thank you to an August bride for the next grower. I was in need of a dinner plate size dahlia for her wedding and she preferred that they be local. I was happy to find a grower who has been growing not only dahlias but gladiolus all of varying sizes for over 53 years! I now can provide dahlias from golf ball size to over 10" and both miniature and regular gladiolus. I am excited to tell you that those red dinner plate dahlias are being grown for my bride as we speak.

              I look forward to finding more local growers both large and small so if you know of anyone do pass their name on!

Just some of the fabulous cut flowers grown right in CT:




                          Yes these were all grown in CT soil!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment